Monday, February 18, 2013

Turkey and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms with Spicy Marinara

I got my meatballs at Target.
Cravings. Sometimes they strike when you least expect it. This weekend, I wanted pizza, so I had pizza. But then on Sunday, I wanted pizza again but my body and mind said no. Upon looking in the fridge for an alternative, I realized I had a bag of turkey meatballs intended for a Valentines Day party that I never made. From there, the stuffed mushroom idea was born.

When I think pizza, I think marinara, cheese, meat and spices. Oh, and I love me some baked mushrooms on my pizza. To make these babies, I combined all those ingredients. This recipe is for 24 meatballs, but you can make more or less. Here's how it's done:

You will need:
Wait 'til you see them after prep.

  • 24 mushrooms
  • 1 cup cheese (I use Weight Watchers shredded)
  • 1 can marinara or tomato sauce or pizza sauce 
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with habaneros
  • 24 small turkey meatballs, lean.
  • Toothpicks 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Wash and de-stem your mushrooms, making sure to get the whole stem. The caps should be placed upside down on a baking sheet and hollow enough to fit yummy-ness. 
Spicy yum yums. 


Combine the can of tomato/marinara/pizza sauce with the can of diced tomatoes/habaneros. Mix together in a bowl. 

Scoop about a teaspoon of the mixture into each mushroom, but use your discretion. This recipe will get messy. Have fun with it! 

Next, place a turkey meatball into each mushroom top. If they are frozen, it's OK. They will bake once you get them into the oven. 

Scoop more of the tomato mixture onto the top, then sprinkle the cheese evenly onto each. 

Time to bake! Be careful they don't fall when you put them into the oven. Mushrooms are pretty sturdy though, so they should stay just fine. 

Bake these babies for 18-25 minutes on 350; 18 for thawed meatballs and 25 for frozen. When you take them out of the oven, add toothpicks on the top so they stay. These will help keep each mushroom together especially if you're transporting for a party. 

If you crave other toppings such as pepperoni or peppers on your pizza, you can add the toothpicks beforehand and stick those on. Yummy! 

The calorie count (per serving):
  • 1 meatball: 23.33 calories
  • Cheese: 10 calories
  • Can Tomato sauce: 3.25 calories
  • Can tomatoes/habanero: 2.625 calories
  • Mushroom: about 4 calories 
________________________________
43.205 calories per mushroom

Wee! 

If you're a spicy fan, this one will be a happy eating for you. Also, happy reading. Let me know if you have questions or comments. 








No comments:

Post a Comment