Monday, February 11, 2013

Much, Much, Much Better For You Funfetti Cake with Yogurt Frosting

Yay! All of my taste testers honestly liked the cake, which makes me a freakin' genius. OK, so perhaps I am not a genius. But I am very creative, and that very creativity led to the creation of a low calorie, and (dare I say) healthy funfetti cake.

We celebrated my friend Abby's birthday last night. She's also a healthy eater, by the way, and made the most delicious kale salad and soup. To compliment her food, I made her favorite type of cake in a health-friendly form. Before I list the how-to's, you should know that Greek yogurt and bananas are your baking BFFs. Use them in substitution for butter, shortening, and oil. The cakes and cookies come out denser, but the taste is yummy. My fiancé gets annoyed when I make healthy cookies because he misses the crunchy texture that comes along with butter as an ingredient. For me and my taster testers last night though, the world was good after we tasted the cake. So here we go.

For the batter:
  • 8 oz vanilla flavored Greek yogurt (I used coconut-vanilla, but you needn't worry about finding such a specific flavor). Vanilla does the job.
  • 1 small banana, mashed
  • 5 tablespoons agave light
  • 2/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 1 1/2 gluten-free flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 teaspoons rainbow sprinkles
First combine all of your dry ingredients. Add all the wet ingredients in no specific order. make sure the banana is mashed BEFORE adding it in. 

Pretty darn guilt-free!
Use a mixer on medium to mix the ingredients together. Depending on your pan, cooking times will vary. I used Smart Balance cooking spray to coat a 13x8 in glass pan and cooked it at 350 for 25 minutes. 

Double deck that shiz.
Also, the cake came out thin because the pan I used was a little big. I ended up double decking it and it works out perfectly.

The frosting is also super easy. There was countless Greek yogurt frostings available across the Internet. I ended up copying a little of all and coming up with this:


Frosting:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
8oz fat free plain Greek yogurt 
1 tablespoon honey

Whisk it all together, then use a mixer on medium. Put it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before using.

A great recipe for kids.
The calorie count (mine made 12 servings)

  • flavored yogurt - 160
  • banana - 105
  • agave - 300
  • almond milk - 27
  • egg whites - 60
  • gluten free flour - 500
  • baking powder - 0
  • salt - 0
  • vanilla extract - 12
  • sprinkles - 100
  • powdered sugar - 234
  • honey - 60
___________________
129.83 calories per slice

A slice (1/12) of Pilsbury Funfetti cake with whipped vanilla frosting is 390 calories! That's a 260.17 calorie difference. That's pretty bad ass.

Questions? Comments? Holler. Until next time, happy reading and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment