Friday, July 5, 2013

Another note on anxiety

My therapist says that instead of feeling emotion, I feel anxiety. This makes perfect sense, but I still struggle with controlling it.

When I am in an anxious state, I forget about all the health and wellness tips I follow when I am out of it. I wake up in the morning anxious, and my first instinct is to
"sleep it off", as opposed to working it off with exercise. This has worked for me plenty before, but for some reason, it's a challenge to remember to do so.

I read this helpful article today, which can be found here: http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/anxiety_worrying_thoughts.html

It's a good reminder that, when an anxious state, you have to trust your experience and not your mind. It's simple science that our bodies release adrenaline like crazy when we are anxious. We go into an unnecessary survival mode. I think that happens because we are trying to escape whatever it is we don't want to deal with, and so we form irrational thoughts. For me, it's my mom's death two years ago.

It's a vicious cycle. The more I write and talk about it, the more I realize how many people are dealing with anxiety.

For anyone that does, try to embrace it instead of fighting it. That is the only way to manage the condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment